Sowing the seeds for a deeper understanding of the power of nature as a healing space for individuals and communities
Stoner Courtyard – In 1998, The Stoner Courtyard was part of the “Campaign for the East Wing”, the renovation plans for the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Before renovation, the courtyard was claimed by parked cars and transient traffic, not allowing much pedestrian traffic to enjoy the outdoor space adjacent to the museum. TKF played a role in transforming the space into a fully landscaped public place for walking, gathering, sitting and reflecting. The garden is seen as an extension of the museum, as its design, paving materials and plantings are reflective of the eclectic collections housed within the museum. The Stoner Courtyard is now an inviting and attractive urban green space for families, students, community members, and of course, museum visitors.
Upper Courtyard – The Warden Garden was part of a multi-year renovation project to upgrade the facilities of its original building, which was built in 1899 and designed by Wilson Eyre. Completed in 2004, the wonderful green space welcomes visitors to the museum with peaceful, shady sitting areas and a reflecting pool that includes fish and water lilies, along with a cast of the original lion’s head spout that sits in the center of the pool. Located in a contemplative corner of the Garden is The Loren Eiseley Poetry Corner, which allows museum visitors and the community to stop and read or just take a pause in the day.
The Upper Courtyard is not only a space for reflection, but has also become a site for celebrations including weddings and other University events.